<!- mfunc feat_school ->
As you are considering which university to attend, you should start to think about which specialization you want to pursue. There are many possible specializations to focus on, which will have a major influence on your career direction. Remember that different universities have different specializations available, so you will want to select your school with a specialization in mind.
- Applied Psychology
- Behavioral Psychology
- Clinical Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Counseling Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Educational Psychology
- Forensic Psychology
- General Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Industrial/Organizational Psych
- Mental Health Psychology
- Quantitative Psychology
- School Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Sports Psychology
- Selfies are popping up everywhere throughout the world of social media, and these days even some of …
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has projected that the field of social work will grow …
- The field of psychology is part of the larger social sciences. Graduates in this discipline may …
Psychological Effects of Hearing Loss in Teens
Authored by Ann Steele, Psy.D., LMFT
Typically hearing loss is a problem we associate with the elderly, or perhaps with long-time operators of heavy machinery. Rarely do we think of it in conjunction with children and teens, and even when we do, we tend to assume that the disability has existed since birth.
What is a Master’s in Psychology? – A master’s degree in psychology is a post-bachelor’s graduate degree that typically provides two years of advanced training to prepare for jobs in counseling, social work, occupational health and mental wellness. A master’s may offer a specialized education in counseling or therapy and qualify graduates for licensure in many jurisdictions, but by itself does not meet state requirements for a full-authority psychologist license.
Welcome to MastersinPsychologyGuide.com – your guide for everything you should know about earning a master’s degree in pscyhology. You may be thinking about earning a master’s in psychology in many specialities; you might have many questions about where you should go to school, how much it costs, how to pay for it, which are the best schools, and so on. We created this simple yet functional website to showcase what is out there! So read on!
On our information-packed psychology website, you will learn in depth about the following topics:
- Dozens of the recommended campus and online master’s in psychology degree programs
- Extensive information about accreditation of psychology programs
- More than 50 free online psychology courses you can take to advance your skills
- The most important qualifications for psychologists
- Extensive information about the different psychology specializations you can choose
- Details about specific scholarships and grants that you can apply for to pay for your education
- The latest research and videos about breakthroughs in psychology science
- Comprehensive salary information for the most popular psychology careers students seek today
Whatever path you choose in psychology, it is our sincere hope that you find all of the information you need here to make an informed decision about your education.
Is Psychology For You?
If you are going to put the time and money into earning your psychology degree, you should be sure that you have the personality and skills to be a good psychologist. Do you have most or all of the following?
- Compassion – To be a good psychologist, you will need to have exemplary listening and people skills. Having a high level of compassion and empathy for others will make you much more effective as a psychology professional.
- Strong math and science skills – You will not be doing research necessarily, but you will still need to have good skills in both of these areas to fully understand the brain and nervous system.
- Excellent communication skills – You have to be able to communicate well with people of all backgrounds, especially those who may be very different from you.
- Emotionally stable – In this profession, you are often going to hear things that are troubling and upsetting. You need to have a great deal of emotional stability to be able to handle the stress that goes along with this job.
What You Should Consider in Your Master’s in Psychology Program
There are many directions in which you can go with a master’s degree in psychology. One of the first things you need to think about with your potential program is what area you want to study. Some of the different types of master’s in psychology degrees you can obtain include:
- Master’s in Clinical Psychology
- Master’s in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Master’s in Applied Psychology
- Master’s in Forensic Psychology
You will find that some universities are specifically geared towards various psychology specialties. So, once you know which speciality you’re interested in, you can find the best program tailored to your needs.<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->
Another critical aspect of going to graduate school in psychology is accreditation. You want to be sure that your graduate program is of the highest quality.
The most prestigious accreditation body for the field of psychology is the American Psychological Association or APA. There also are many other highly regarded accreditation bodies for colleges and universities in the US, including the following. You should be sure that your university is accredited by one of these organizations that are recognized by the Department of Education:
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Northwest Accreditation Commission
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Also, consider whether you want to attend an online or a campus-based program. You can now earn most of your degree online at many quality universities around the country. You may need to complete your clinical hours in a local setting, but most of your class hours can be done online. Or, you can choose a traditional, campus based program.
Popular Master’s in Psychology Programs
Some popular Campus and Online master’s in psychology programs around the US include:
- Master in Psychology – Pepperdine University
- Master in Psychology – New York University
- Master in Psychology – Boston University
- Master in Psychology – American University
Other Considerations for Master’s in Psychology
Note that some master’s in psychology programs are what are referred to as terminal degrees. That is, they are designed to complete your psychology education so that you can become licensed and begin to practice in the field, usually under the supervision of a psychologist with a Ph.D.<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->
However, other master’s programs are designed for you to go on to earn your Ph.D. in psychology. This will be the advisable path for you if you want to practice psychology on your own, pursue research, or even become a professor at a university.