University of Nevada-Las Vegas
Map 4505 S Maryland Pky, Las Vegas, NV 89154»(702) 895-3011 »http://www.unlv.edu<!- mfunc feat_school ->
Alice J. Corkill, Ph.D, Associate Professor, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, joins us today to discuss their online Master's in Educational Psychology program.
1. Can you tell us about your online master’s program(s) offered at University of Nevada, Las Vegas?
The Online Master of Science in Educational Psychology is appropriate for students seeking the core knowledge, research tools, and educational experiences necessary to succeed in various educational settings. The program is appropriate for elementary, secondary, and special education teachers who wish to enhance classroom skills; students interested in pursuing advanced studies in educational psychology; students interested in obtaining a specialist degree in school psychology; as well as students who plan to apply their skills in government or business settings.
This program was designed with the busy professional in mind. Offered totally online, it is particularly well-suited for students who are interested in online learning. The core degree requirements provide a solid foundation in educational research, cognition, and development. Students select specialty courses to complete the program. A student could, for example, elect to focus on how online learning environments are affecting educational and training landscapes or how to develop materials and learning environments for education or training.
A minimum of 34 credits is required for the degree. Students must maintain a grade point average of 3.00 or better in the program and a grade of B or better in core course work. The culminating experience for the Online Master of Science degree is a written comprehensive examination or thesis.
All courses in this program are offered online via Web Campus, a course management program. A computer, high-speed internet access, and a password are all you need to access course materials, submit assignments, and take tests. Web Campus has networking features including a discussion board, email system, and chat capabilities for communicating with the professor and other students. Professors are available online so that questions and concerns can be addressed in a timely fashion.
2. How long does a typical master’s program take at University of Nevada, Las Vegas? What is the maximum and minimum time of completion?
Most students complete the degree within two to three years (four to six semesters). The quickest degree completion that I have observed is 1.5 years (three semesters plus two summer terms).
3. What do you think makes University of Nevada, Las Vegas’s online Master’s in Educational Psychology program stand out from other programs offered by similar schools?
The online Master of Science program in Educational Psychology at UNLV provides students the opportunity to directly address their academic and professional goals from an individual perspective. The core courses in research methods, introductory statistics, life-span development, foundations of learning and cognition, and introduction to psychometrics give students a solid grounding in the educational arena commonly referred to as “educational psychology.” After completing the core coursework, students are limited only by their imagination in terms of the multitude of directions their program of study may take.
4. Does your online Master’s in Educational Psychology program offer any concentrations or dual enrollment opportunities?
Students may elect to follow prescribed coursework in two specific concentration areas: program evaluation or online education.
5. How important would you say accreditation is when choosing a Master’s in Educational Psychology?
There is no external accrediting body for educational psychology. The program is accredited through university accreditation with the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
6. What kind of student characterizes your ideal candidate in the master’s program (i.e. personality traits, background, interests, career aspirations, etc.)?
We seek students who are energetic, motivated, self-directed, and passionate about increasing their knowledge regarding how people learn and develop throughout the life span, and how one can measure such changes. We seek students who are interested in using the knowledge they acquire in our program to further not only their own personal goals, but those with whom they work. Thus, we are interested in helping our students to design, implement, and evaluate educational and psychological interventions that can enhance others’ functioning in both educational and work-related realms.
7. What are your class sizes for courses in the online master’s degree program?
Class sizes range from a low of 12 to 16 to a high of 25 to 30.
8. What are the advantages to earning a Master’s in Education Psychology degree in general and where are you seeing employer demand for this degree?
A degree in educational psychology prepares a student to work in a variety of capacities. Many people seem to believe that because “education” is in the title, that school-related careers or employment are the only option. Professionals with a master’s degree in educational psychology may also find employment in the private sector as a program evaluator, training materials developer (for either traditional or online delivery), or research associate in educational, medical, social service, or business settings. In addition, many students use a master’s degree in educational psychology as a stepping stone toward doctoral studies.
9. Are graduate students enrolled in the online Master’s in Educational Psychology program offered assistantships for teaching or research?
Graduate students who are enrolled in the online Master of Science in Educational Psychology degree program at UNLV are not typically employed as graduate assistants.
10. Do you have any advice for students enrolling in a master’s program for the first time?
Don’t worry about whether you possess a background in psychology or education. Our courses provide you with the necessary background knowledge to be successful. What we require from you is motivation, interest, persistence, and the willingness to put forth the effort required to master the information we provide.
For more information on the online Master’s in Educational Psychology program offered at University of Nevada, Las Vegas visit them online.
Thank you Alice, for sharing and participating in this piece.
That concludes our interview!
Learning Format:Campus + Online
- Tuition for full time students (In State): Approximately $ 0.00/year
- Graduate Out of State Tuition: Approximately $ 0.00/year
- Average Books/Supplies Cost: $ 0.00
- Off Campus Room Board Average Cost: $ 0.00
Psychology Degrees Offered:
- Clinical Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Master of Science in Educational Psychology
ReviewsUniversity of Nevada-Las Vegas has no reviews yet.
Tuition & Financial Aid
- Campus Setting: City - Midsize
- Inquire for current tuition
Category:University of Nevada-Las Vegas has programs in the following specializations: Clinical Psychology, Educational Psychology, Quantitative Psychology
LocationUniversity of Nevada-Las Vegas has campus locations in: Nevada
Nearby Schools for Psychology
About This Site
We are an open forum for articles, manuscripts, unpublished thesis, and letters as well as a guide for job, career and program advice from like-minded Graduates. We are seeking submissions that will be of interest to the community.