Anyone looking to obtain a master's in psychology will most likely want to make sure that it's the right choice for him or her. After all, this course entails two years of full time study and it is not only time consuming, but also challenging, so it is important for graduate students to be sure tha... Read More
On our information-packed psychology website, you will learn in depth about the following topics:
- Dozens of the recommended online and on campus master's in psychology degree programs
- Extensive information about accreditation of psychology programs
- More than 50 free online psychology classes you can take to advance your skills
- The most important qualifications for psychologists
- Extensive information about the different psychology specializations you can choose
- Details about specific scholarships and grants that you can apply for to pay for your education
- The latest research and videos about breakthroughs in psychology science
- Comprehensive salary information for the most popular psychology careers
Is Psychology For You?If you are going to put the time and money into earning your psychology degree, you should be sure that you have the personality and skills to be a good psychologist. Do you have most or all of the following?
- Compassion - To be a good psychologist, you will need to have exemplary listening and people skills. Having a high level of compassion and empathy for others will make you much more effective as a psychology professional.
- Strong math and science skills - You will not be doing research necessarily, but you will still need to have good skills in both of these areas to fully understand the brain and nervous system.
- Excellent communication skills - You have to be able to communicate well with people of all backgrounds, especially those who may be very different from you.
- Emotionally stable - In this profession, you are often going to hear things that are troubling and upsetting. You need to have a great deal of emotional stability to be able to handle the stress that goes along with this job.
What You Should Consider in Your Master's in Psychology ProgramThere are many directions in which you can go with a master's degree in psychology. One of the first things you need to think about with your potential program is what area you want to study. Some of the different types of master's in psychology degrees you can obtain include:
- Master's in Clinical Psychology
- Master's in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Master's in Applied Psychology
- Master's in Forensic Psychology
Another critical aspect of going to graduate school in psychology is accreditation. You want to be sure that your graduate program is of the highest quality.
The most prestigious accreditation body for the field of psychology is the American Psychological Association or APA. There also are many other highly regarded accreditation bodies for colleges and universities in the US, including the following. You should be sure that your university is accredited by one of these organizations that are recognized by the Department of Education:
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Northwest Accreditation Commission
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Popular Master's in Psychology ProgramsSome popular master's in psychology programs around the US include:
- Master in Psychology - Walden University
- Master in Psychology - Pepperdine University
- Master in Psychology - New York University
- Master in Psychology - Boston University
- Master in Psychology - American University
Other Considerations for Master's in PsychologyNote that some master's in psychology programs are what are referred to as terminal degrees. That is, they are designed to complete your psychology education so that you can become licensed and begin to practice in the field, usually under the supervision of a psychologist with a Ph.D.
However, other master's programs are designed for you to go on to earn your Ph.D. in psychology. This will be the advisable path for you if you want to practice psychology on your own, pursue research, or even become a professor at a university.