Anyone who wants to enjoy a career as a practicing psychologist with his or her own practice should consider an online PhD in psychology. You will gain the skills that you need to understand why humans behave the way they do, learning about critical reasoning, analysis and communication. In most online PhD programs in psychology, you will have the chance to choose a specialization that most interests you. Earning your online PhD is also a good way for you to become a professor of psychology at a university.
SEE ALSO: Online Masters in Psychology Degrees
Some of the most recommended online PhD in psychology programs include these universities:
- Ph.D. in Psychology – Walden University – In this online psychology program, you will explore current theories, research and best practices so that you can build the skills and knowledge that you need to work with a diverse clientele in many settings. This program is based upon a scholar-practitioner model, and encourages students to integrate scholarly research into their school work, combined with practical experience. This program is taught by some of the best experts in the field, and you can choose eight specializations. Selecting clinical psychology or counseling psychology are the best options to prepare you for licensure.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology – Capella University – This online PhD program is in general psychology. You will have the opportunity to come up with an individualized, academic track program that aligns with both your professional goals and your research interests. You may select established areas in psychological study, including addiction or health psychology. You also may design your own interdisciplinary program that combines psychological study with education, business or another discipline. After you finish this three year program, you will be highly skilled in designing, planning and conducting appropriate research in your field.
- Ph.D. in General Psychology with Emphasis in Cognition and Instruction – Grand Canyon University – This program is designed for professionals who work in government positions, industry, school systems and other instructional/applied settings. This degree program is a good way to prepare for teaching and research at a college or university. It focuses on how the mind works and keeps information. It explores the best way to teach and train so that information becomes embedded in the brain.
- Ph.D. in Psychology – Keiser University – This Doctor of Philosophy degree in Psychology is a research-based degree that focuses on advancing your career in teaching, administration or consulting. This program will prepare innovative scholars, educators and researchers to add to the body of knowledge through intense study in the field of psychology. The four year degree program culminates in a dissertation that will build a strong foundation for research and knowledge development in the study/application of personality, motivation, learning, emotion and behavior.
- Ph.D. in General Psychology with Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology – Grand Canyon University – This program is made for professionals who want to be behavioral specialists in the workplace. People who earn this Ph.D. often work as teachers or researchers at a university. Also, you may work as a consultant, staff psychologist or a researcher. You will work to improve selection and placement, training and development, and evaluating employee performance.
- Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) – California Southern University – This is an applied, clinically focused degree that meets all educational requirements for licensure as a clinical psychologist in California. This online degree program culminates in the fourth year with a doctoral project that is focused on a psychology topic that you are most interested in. This degree differs somewhat from a traditional Ph.D. in that the Ph.D. is focused on research and publication in scholarly journals, whereas the PsyD has more of a clinical focus. It stresses counseling and therapy above all else.