Introduction to Sigmund Freud - the Father of Psychoanalysis
Human beings are very complex. Knowing how someone will react in certain situations and how they look at other events can vary from person to person. In addition, it is important to know how people should view important and difficult events in everyday life. The understanding of human nature and how they react is important. This is where psychoanalysis and the work of Sigmund Freud has been instrumental in helping people.
Sigmund Freud was born in Moravia, which is now the Czech Republic, in 1856. At an early age, Freud and family moved to Vienna, Austria, where he lived the majority of his life. While in Austria he developed a curiosity of humans and human behavior. Freud attended the University of Vienna Medical School where he earned his degree in 1881 specializing in neurology.
During his career, Freud began working on learning how humans thought and what drove people to being successful. His work in psychoanalysis was ground breaking and he started to gain notoriety worldwide. His analysis of dreams, psycho-sexual development and identifying the id, ego and super ego led to Freud becoming known as the "Father of Psychoanalysis". His work has been studied by students for the past century and is still the basis for modern psychology theories.
With the hostilities developing with World War II, Austria was taken over by Germany in 1938. Freud was allowed to leave, and moved to England. However, in 1939, Freud died from Cancer. However, Sigmund Freud has left a legacy that has been the benchmark for psychology students in the future.
To learn more about the Father of Psychoanalysis, please feel free to review the following information:
- About Psychoanalysis - This site from the American Psychoanalytic Association offers an overview of the subject.
- What is Psychoanalysis? - Page from Psychology Today which provides a definition of psychoanalysis.
- NYU Psychoanalysis Information - New York University School of Medicine information and definition of psychoanalysis.
- Psychology History - Article which provides a look at how Sigmund Freud had a role in psychology history.
- Freud and Psychoanalysis - Informative article which looks at the work of Freud in psychoanalysis.
- Sigmund Freud Biography - Information on the life of the famous Austrian psychologist.
- PBS Freud Biography - Web page from the Public Broadcasting Service which looks at Freud's life.
- Sigmund Freud - A look at the life and work of Freud.
- A Look at the Life of Freud - In this page from the BBC you will learn about the life of Sigmund Freud.
- Biography of Freud - Useful biographical look at the life of Sigmund Freud.
- The Formative Years of Freud - In this article from the Library of Congress you will learn about early years of Sigmund Freud.
- Freud and Education - This publication looks at the advances in education that came from the work of Freud.
- Freud and the Holocaust - Information on Freud and the education he received while growing up.
- Sigmund Freud University - Web page of the university in Vienna that was named after Freud.
- Modern Psychoanalysis - Helpful page with information on how Freud changed the study of psychoanalysis.
- Sigmund Freud's Theories - This web page outlines information on the various theories that Freud discovered.
- Theories and Concepts - In this informative page you will learn about the theories and concepts uncovered by Freud.
- Psychology Theories - A look at some of the work and theories.
- Personality Theories - Useful information about the personality theories that were developed by Freud.
- Introduction to Freud's Theory on Dreams - This helpful web page offers readers an introduction into some of Sigmund Freud's work with dreams.
- Online Books Page - Web page from the University of Pennsylvania which lists online versions of the works of Freud.
- Freud Complete Works - Comprehensive online publication which offers access to the complete works of Sigmund Freud.
- The Sigmund Freud Archives - A web site that is dedicated to publishing online the works of the famed Austrian psychologist.
- The Complete Works of Sigmund Freud - In this web page you will find information and links to the complete works of Freud.
- Freud Complete Works - This page provides information on the complete works on psychoanalysis of Sigmund Freud.
- Sigmund Freud Resources - This helpful page provides information about the Father of Psychoanalysis.
- Resources and Links - Helpful page which provides information and resources about Freud.
- Introduction to Sigmund Freud - Purdue University web page which provides a general look at Freud.
- Freud Museum - Web site that is dedicated to the life and work of Sigmund Freud.
- Sigmund Freud and Psychoanalysis Links - Educational page that helps people learn more about Freud by providing information.