If you want to earn a Psy.D., you are interested in clinical work. It is very important that this program is fully accredited by a body such as the American Psychological Association (APA). This will tell you that the program meets the necessary standards in order to get to work. It will also inform a potential employer that you have the right knowledge and training to do a job. Considering that it will take you at least four years to complete such a degree, having one that will actually be worth something is particularly important. Other accrediting bodies include the Higher Learning Commission and various regional bodies.
Meanwhile, more and more people are considering studying online. This allows them to continue to meet personal and professional responsibilities while improving their education. In this case, it is even more important that the program is accredited, as it would be all too easy to offer an online program without actually being any good.
Below are what we believe to be the five top accredited online Psy.D. programs for you to choose from.
The online program at Capella University uses key scientific and theoretical foundations that make up psychology. This includes psychological intervention and assessment. Graduates are ready to meet their personal state licensure requirements so that they can get to work as clinical psychologists. Although offered online, clinical training and a residency must be completed too. This is done within your own geographical area, however.
- Location: Online or Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Type: Private, for profit
- Accreditation: HLC and North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Tuition: Inquire
- Minimum time commitment: 145 quarter credits
- Degree requirements: Master’s degree, transcripts, GPA of 3.0, 3 letters of recommendation, goal statement, resume
- Programs: Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Request Information Direct: Capella University
2. California Southern University
The Psy.D. program at California Southern University is one of their most popular degrees. This is also due to the fact that it can be completed at one’s personal pace, ranging from two to ten years. All faculty staff members are leading professionals in the field of psychology.
- Campus: Irvine, California
- Type: Private
- Accreditation: Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC)
- Tuition: $395 per credit
- Minimum time commitment: 66 credits
- Degree requirements: Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, GPA of 3.0, transcripts
- Programs: Doctor of Psychology
- Request Information Direct: California Southern University
3. University of the Rockies
The University of the Rockies offers a range of different specializations in psychology at doctorate level. These programs can be completed flexibly, as they are offered online. There are stringent dissertation requirements for each of the specializations.
- Campus: Denver, Colorado
- Type: Private
- Accreditation: HLC
- Tuition: $1,082 per credit
- Minimum time commitment: 68 credits
- Degree requirements: GPA of 3.0
- Programs: Doctor of Psychology in Criminology and Justice Studies, Business Psychology, Health and Wellness Psychology, Educational Leadership, Mental Health Administration, Mediation and Conflict Resolution, Organizational Leadership, Non-Profit Management, Sport and Performance Psychology
- Request Information Direct: University of the Rockies
4. Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
This degree program is delivered fully online. To graduate, students have to take part in a residency of four days. This is held in Boston, Massachusetts. The area of leadership psychology is expected to grow by 26% between 2010 and 2020, which makes it a very interesting career choice.
- Campus: Boston, Massachusetts
- Type: Private
- Accreditation: APA
- Tuition: $1,248 per credit
- Minimum time commitment: Four years
- Degree requirements: GRE, prerequisite courses,
- Programs: Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) in Leadership Psychology
- Request Information Direct: Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
5. Saybrook University
The Psy.D. program at Saybrook University combines online learning with residency practice. The school takes a humanistic approach, which means students learn to gain a greater understanding of what it means to be human. Graduates are in high demand and find employment in a range of different employment settings.
- Campus: Oakland, California
- Type: Private, not for profit
- Accreditation: WASC, HECB
- Tuition: $23,240 per year
- Minimum time commitment: 105 credits
- Degree requirements: Transcripts, GPA of 3.0, bachelor’s or master’s degree, personal statement, personal interview, one contact for recommendation, professional experience, academic history, compatible interests, critical thinking, writing skills, personal motivation
- Programs: Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
- Request Information Direct: Saybrook University