10 Bargain Masters in Psychology Programs
To get a Masters in Psychology these days, students need to first put in the time and money to obtain a 4-year undergraduate degree. After this, another 3 years is generally required to earn a graduate degree. Paying for 7 years of college can really add up, with many students owing over six figures in student debt after they graduate if they're not careful. Yet there are a number of reasonably-priced Masters in Psychology programs out there, if you take the time to comparison shop. The following are 10 of the best bargains, providing a high quality of education at a low cost. The tuition prices listed were current as of 2010, but may have gone up slightly since then.
- East Carolina University – This program is a steal at only $4,860 per year in tuition fees for residents of North Carolina. They offer a Master of Arts in General Psychology, which takes three years to complete. Students can expect to learn about the history and basic theories behind the field of psychology.
- Winston-Salem State University – Another program offered in North Carolina, this school charges $8,178 for residents and offers a Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling degree.
- New Mexico State University – To earn the Master of Arts in Experimental Psychology from this state school, students can expect to pay only $8,937 in annual tuition fees.
- California State University at Dominguez Hills – The California public university system is well-known for its high quality and renowned professors. This branch located in Dominguez Hills offers a Master of Arts in Negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peace Building for $9,900.
- University of South Dakota – Those who want to become substance abuse counselors or clinical psychologists specializing in addiction may want to think about the University of South Dakota. Their Master of Arts in Addiction Studies is $11,000 per year. A related discipline that is also budget-friendly is the Master in Science in Administration/Alcohol and Drug Studies, which only costs $12,134.
- Liberty University – Offering a Master of Arts in Human Services at a tuition fee of $12,900, Liberty University's degree is a bargain. This degree program touches on elements of psychology, with a professional emphasis that is meant to help students go on to find employment in social services as counselors.
- University of North Dakota – The Master of Arts in Forensic Psychology from the University of North Dakota only costs $13,515. This program is designed to help students who are interested in learning more about how psychology can be applied in the court of law. They may work in law enforcement, or as part of the child protection courts. Students will learn about the criminal mind and abnormal psychology as part of this degree program.
- University of Alabama – The Master of Arts in Rehabilitation Counseling degree is available for $14,976. This program will teach students how to help give the counseling and coaching skills that addicts need to get back on their feet, preparing them for group or individual therapy sessions and rehabilitation.
- Kansas State University – Among other psychology degree options for qualified students, Kansas State University also offers a Master of Science in Youth Development for $15,480. This focuses on developmental psychology, and can prepare students to find employment as academic counselors or youth outreach specialists, among other options.
- Grand Canyon University – If you are a member of the military or a resident of the state of Arizona, you may qualify for the bargain tuition cost of $15,840 at Grand Canyon University. This tuition can be applied to the Master of Science in Addiction Counseling, another counseling psychology degree that focuses on rehabilitation and addiction.
Psychology Graduate Degrees & Programs
Salary Information for Psychology Careers